P.S.

If I am not sharing something Japanice (anime, cosplay, Japanese food, and anime conventions), I will be talking about virtually anything. From life lessons and my daily encounters to politics and current events. It's a personal blog after all. :)

Enjoy and feel free to give comments and input.

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu~

Sunday, March 18, 2012

{FOOD} Ramen at Santorini, A Korean Eatery

Yesterday was quite the food trip. I, with some company, went all the way to the vicinity of the University of Santo Tomas in España Boulevard to look for a Korean eatery named "Santorini." Googling the word, one will find that it actually is a name of a Greek island. Why a Korean restaurant is named after a Greek island is an entirely different story. LOL

Anyway, this "computer shop-looking" restaurant is more than what it appears from the outside. Immediately after stepping in a tiny room that accommodates six tables, one will be overwhelmed by not only posters of Korean artists but also various messages and doodles of customers (fans we can safely assume) spread all over the walls of the premises. While I am not a K-Pop fan, I can say that the place although it tends to become cramped is really very cozy. A television is tuned in a K-Pop cable channel (I dunno which channel cuz again I'm not a K-Pop fan >_<) which everyone in the air-conditioned room can conveniently watch (and spazz at if I may include). 



I ordered a ramen as my main dish then we had tuna and cheese gimbap on the side. Gimbap or kimbap is a Korean dish made from steamed white rice (bap) and various other ingredients, rolled in gim (sheets of dried seaweed) and served in bite-size slices. It’s much like the Japanese dish maki (futomaki/makizushi), only that gimbap isn’t served with wasabi and is just dipped in soy sauce. Well, gimbap afterall is derived from the Japanese maki during the Japanese occupation of Korea.


Their ramen was a WIN~ It's just spicy enough and with lots of eggs. The noodles are well-done and not soggy. Very tasty and nice to pair with the gimbap. It made me want to eat ramen there during the rainy season. The soup was hot and spicy that I so wanted to order a bottle of soju (didn't though, I was with some minors that's why >_>). For a hundred pesos per bowl of ramen, I'd say that it's reasonable and very affordable for students in the area. A roll of gimbap, that's 10 slices, is priced at 110 to 150 pesos depending on the type.


With a television in the shop, going solo will be no problemo. Manang waitress though seems a bit grumpy. XD I suggest she loosens up before she starts turning off customers. She was kind enough to take our pictures though. The best part is that the ahjumma, who I think might be the owner or at least the cook, was very nice to thank us for our visit. I'll definitely drop by again when I get the chance and grab a bottle of soju on that next visit. :D



See those "post-its"??

Spicy ramen
Itadakimasu~!


With chingu chingu


2 comments:

  1. Parang ang sarap nung spicy ramen chong....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep masarap ~ maanghang pero di naman exage ung pagka-spicy ^_^

      Delete